Pre-meeting lite refreshments served
1) Opening Prayer 7:00 PM
3) Old Business
- Brief recap of Peace Light Arrival event on Saturday, November 25th, 2017 at JFK. If you have
not seen the NET TV coverage of our event the link is posted on our Website homepage.
- Distribution of Emblems
from our October 2017 Catholic Scout Retreat, at Alpine Scout Camp.
4) New Business
Sunday and Anniversary Celebrations
- National CCOS notice of Award price Increase
- Youth religious emblem boards - Monday, March 12, IHM Church, Kensington, Brooklyn
& Wed. March 14, Our Lady of Hope Church, Middle Village, Queens both 7:00 - 9:00 PM, Youth religious
award applications and $15 per award fees due by Friday, March 16. Awards Chairman - Chris Dono, 347-680-9944
- Awards Convocation,
Sunday April 15, IHM Church, Brooklyn 2:00 - 3:00 PM
- Bishops Dinner for Scouting - Tuesday, May 1, El Caribe Country Caterers, Mill Basin, Brooklyn. Applications
and $25 fee for Adult awards: Saint Anne, Saint Elizabeth Ann Seton, Bronze Pelican and Saint George Awards are due by Friday,
March 23. Cut off for placing congratulatory Journal Ads is Tuesday, April 17th.
- Fall Catholic Scout Retreat November 2-4, Alpine Scout Camp, Reeves Conference Center
5) Good and
- New Catholic
Leader Training Continuum
- Catholic Committee Development, Florida Seabase & Catholic Scouter Leadership Conference,
Philmont Training Center. See links on our Committee website home page.
- Roll out of BSA Scouting Family
- 2019 World Scout Jamboree - Youth and Adult Participant Sign-up has begun. Early registration $100.
discount ends January 31. Also International Service Team applications are being accepted by the Region.
remarks by Chairman and Chaplains
Confirmation of next bi-monthly dates
& locations for remaining 2018 meetings
Closing Prayer 9:00 PM
Catholic Committee on Scouting, Diocese
Meeting, November 15, 2017 at 7:00 - 9:00 pm
Host :Our Lady of Hope Church Rectory, Middle Village,
Prayer 7:00 PM
2) Chaplains Report
3) Brief Recap - Diocese of Brooklyn, Catholic Scout Retreat, Alpine Scout Camp
Fri. October 13 Sunday October 15, 2017, Planning and Promotion of 2018 Retreat has started.
4) Arrival of the Peace light flame from the Church of the Nativity, Bethlehem
via Vienna Austria -
Airport, Our Lady of the Skies Catholic Chapel, Terminal 4,
Saturday, November 25, 2017. Gathering starts 2:00 PM,
Ceremony soon after arrival of Flight OS87 from Vienna, Austria. Approx. 3:00 pm.
5) Bishops Dinner for Scouting - Postponed to Spring 2018 date to be determined,
Awaiting Bishop's Schedule.
1 Applications for Adult awards has being received.
6) 2018 - Youth religious emblem boards - March 12, Brooklyn & March 14, Queens
7) Spring 2018 - Awards Convocation, Brooklyn Parish location, Date pending
8) Fall Retreat 2018 - November
2-4, Alpine Scout Camp, Reeves Conference Center is booked.
9) 2017 Quality Diocese Award Application due soon
10) Closing remarks by Chairman and Chaplains
11) Good and Welfare
12) Confirmation of bi-monthly dates & locations for 2018 meetings of CCOS,
next January 2018, Brooklyn
Closing Prayer 9:00 PM
Catholic Committee – Diocese
of Brooklyn September 27, 2017 Meeting Agenda
Host: Immaculate Heart of Mary Parish, Brooklyn
Light Refreshments Served
Prayer 7:30 PM - Chaplain
Chaplains Welcome and Reports
1. Aux. Bishop's visit and Mass at TMR, other
Mass coverage and attendance at Camp
2. Diocese of Brooklyn, Catholic Scout Retreat, Alpine Scout Camp, October
13 eve thru Sunday October 15, noon, Flyer and Registration form on our Website, New retreat program and ideas presented
by Deacons, Registration deadline October 6th. (food orders due to Alpine catering staff).
3. Retreat promotion at TMR during
summer camp, TMR 90th, GNYC Program Launch and Scout leader Roundtables, email blast to Queens Scout leaders, and
on Brooklyn Scouting and CCOS websites.
1. Confirmed planned Arrival of the Peace light flame from
the Church of the Nativity via Vienna Austria - JFK International Airport, Our Lady of the Skies Catholic Chapel, Terminal
4, Saturday, November 25, 2017. Gathering at Chapel starts 2:00 PM, Ceremony soon after
arrival of Flight OS87 from Vienna, Austria.(due 2:45 PM) Seek Peace light Messengers to transport the
"light" to Churches and Houses of Worship all over the NYC Metro area. Planning a Peace light Ceremony
for distribution at Trinity Church, lower Manhattan with procession over the Brooklyn Bridge to Brooklyn Heights Churches
and Houses of Worship (Jim Sorenson)
2. Bishops Dinner for Scouting - Postponed from October 25th 2017, to Spring 2018 date to
be determined, awaiting Bishop's Schedule. Applications for adult Religious Recognition found on our Website. Deadline for
awards at least 1 month prior to dinner (ample time to notify awardees and order awards)
3. 2018 - Youth religious emblem
boards - March 12, Brooklyn & March 14, Queens ( Need to confirm locations and times)
4. Spring 2018
- Awards Convocation, Brooklyn, Date pending Saint Athanasius Parish schedule availability, and coordination with Deacon's
schedules. (Brian Long)
5. Catholic Committee on Scouting Training Conference -Florida Sea base
6. Catholic Committee on Scouting
Leadership Seminar, Philmont, New Mexico
7. Saint George Trek for Catholic Youth, Philmont, New Mexico
of dates, locations and times of Queens and Brooklyn meetings of CCOS & Closing remarks by Chairman
Congratulations to Chris Coscia and Joe Schultz on their respective promotions. Robert Colona
to serve as our new GNYC liaison.
Need for a new Girl Scout Council of NY Executive liaison to our
Closing Prayer, 9:00 PM - Chaplain
Catholic Committee on Scouting
Agenda for January 18, 2017
Meeting Host : Rev. Tom Vassalotti, Pastor,
Divine Mercy Parish
7:00 PM Opening Prayer – Led by Chaplain
and announcement of new Scout Chaplains appointed by Bishop Nicholas DiMarzio on January 1, 2017. (Deacon
James Noble will not be attending tonight’s meeting) Renewal of Committee Mission and Vision.
Old Business - Looking Back – 30 Minutes)
September 6th, 2016
Committee Meeting –
Prepare for GNYC Program Launch (9-10-16)
2. October 11th, 2016 Meeting
- Finalized Plans for Bishop’s Dinner (10-19-16)
3. Bishop’s Dinner - Did we hold
at wrong time of year?
4. Catholic Scout Retreat – Friday November
4 – Sunday, November 6th, 2016
Theme – Jubilee Year of Divine Mercy. Emblems have arrived.
· How to pray the Rosary – Hike to Palisades
and Rosary instructions provided by Father Tom and Father Chris Heanue, Administrator of Holy Child Jesus Parish.
· Candle light Living
Rosary- John Joseph Antoniello, and CCOS Team
Youth – Evaluation Cards - What they liked, What they did not like
· Attendance – total youth and
adults just under 100 ? Did not meet expectations.
Many new faces – expressed interest in joining committee and supporting our needs.
· We overbooked cabins – but
several units used them.
5. Peace Light from Bethlehem – Saturday,
November 26, 2016 – Host: JFK Our Lady of the Skies Catholic Chapel – largest number of participants
in 15 years, performances by Xaverian band and Adam Bueno, of Cub Pack 187, Brooklyn. Rev.
Chris Piasta, JFK Chaplain welcomed all, Fr. Tom emceed.
– Looking Ahead (1 Hour)
6. Scout Sunday(s)
2017 – Sunday, February 5 (BSA), Sunday, March 6 (GSA)
can schedule other dates for Parish, Unit Scout Sunday Observances.
7. GNYC Camping Expo - Catholic Committee
invited to promotion of Catholic Youth Religious Emblems and staffing two display tables. February 26,
2017, Alpine Scout Camp. NJ.
8. Catholic Youth Religious Emblem Boards of Reviews, and
application and $15. Per award fee submission due dates: (Chris Dono – Religious Emblem Awards Chm.)
· Monday, March 13,
2017, Brooklyn – Immaculate Heart of Mary, Marion Center in Rectory Basement, 7:00-9:00 PM,
2805 Fort Hamilton Parkway, 11218
Wednesday, March 15, 2017, Queens – Our Lady of Hope – Catholic Academy Cafeteria –
Middle Village, 61-21 71st. Street, - 11379 7:00-9:00 PM
Catholic Youth Awards Convocation : Sunday April 30, 2017,
Our Lady of Hope Church, 2:00 -4:00 PM, Gathering and Procession starts 2:00
pm, Ceremony starts 2:30, Reception at Academy cafeteria starts at end of Awards Ceremony,
concludes by 4:00
10. Determine remaining 2017 CCOS Event Dates
· March 22, 2017,
7:00-8:30 P M, location to be determined
· May 24, 2017,
7:00 -8:30 PM, location to be determined
· Bishop’s Visit
to Ten Mile River Scout Camp, with Mass
· Bishops’ Dinner for Scouting,
Committee to recommend Adult Awardees
· 2017 Catholic Scout Retreat ,
Date(s .Location, Chairman)
· Peace Light from Bethlehem
Closing Prayer – Led by Chaplain
Chairman Concludes meeting by 8:30 PM
Catholic Committee on Scouting Diocese of Brooklyn
Agenda for March 22, 2017 Meeting
Meeting Host :
Our Lady Of Hope Parish, Middle Village, Queens
7:00 PM Opening Prayer
– Led by Chaplain
Welcome & Introductions
Business - Looking Back – 15 Minutes
1. January 18, 2017 – Last Committee
Meeting – St. Francis of Paola Rectory – Fr. Tom Vassalotti host.
· Bishop appoints new Chaplains effective
January 31, 2017:
o Deacon James “Jim”
o Deacon Vincent Lino, Queens
· Girl Scout Council of
New York – Professional liaison to CCOS, Charmaine Chung retired,
Scout Sunday(s) Observances 2017 – Sunday, February 5 (BSA), Sunday, March 6 (GSA)
GNYC Camping Expo - Catholic Committee participated on February 26, 2017, Alpine Scout Camp. NJ.
New Business – 45 Minutes
Quality Diocese Committee Award Application and Reports to Regional Chair were submitted before March
2. CCOS web site : ccosbq.org
due for renewal in April.
3. Recent Communication from Ted Musco,
regarding NCCS letter to Bishop DiMarzio regarding BSA policy change on Transgender youth membership
4. Reports on Catholic Youth Religious Award Applications
Board on Monday March 13 – Immaculate Heart of Mary
Queens – March 15 – Cancelled due to blizzard - Our Lady of Hope – Applications to
be collected at this meeting.
5. Catholic Youth Awards Convocation
: Sunday April 30, 2017, Our Lady of Hope Church, 2:00 -4:00
o Confirm Church, School and Organist
o Order Awards
o Days before event:
§ Prepare Awards for presentation
§ Prepare and print program
§ Provide Organist – Musical Selections
§ Purchase light refreshments
§ Confirm committee availability and assignments
o Day of event:
Awards displayed on Church Altar
§ Greet awardees and
parents at Church parking lot
§ Check in of Awardees
§ Organize and supervise short Procession(weather permitting) starting
at 2:00 pm
§ Distribute programs, seat parents, leaders
§ Ceremony starts 2:30
· Seating of Awardees
· Welcome by Chairman
· Opening Prayer
· Procession and Blessing
of Flags and Flag Bearers
Pledge of Allegiance
Liturgy of the Word – Scout Lectors
Reflection on the Readings and Awardee Accomplishments – Chaplain
· Blessing of Awards
· Presentation of Awards
· Prayer of the Faithful
· Collection to offset Convocation
Prayer and Blessing
at School cafeteria
· Event concludes
Other 2017 CCOS Event Dates – 30 Minutes
Committee Meeting, May 24, 2017, 7:00 -9:00 PM, Brooklyn location to be determined
· Committee Meetings,
September & November 2017 dates and locations to be selected
Bishop’s Visit to Ten Mile River Scout Camp, with Mass
o Date to be determined – July ?
· Bishops’ Dinner for Scouting
o Dinner Chairman and Sub-Committee
o Fall 2017 - Date to be determined
(awaiting Bishop’s availability dates)
of Adult Religious Emblem Awardees
2017 Catholic Scout Retreat, Reeves Conference Center, Alpine Scout Camp, N.J.
o November 10 -13, 2017
(Veteran’s Day Weekend)
o Catered meals
served at Cub World Dining Hall
o Retreat Leader and Sub-Committee
o Theme – “Living and
Loving our Catholic Faith – Putting Faith into Action by Serving Others” .
· Peace Light flame from Grotto of the Nativity,
City of Bethlehem arrival at JFK via Vienna Austria
Annual Passing of the message and Peace flame to participants at Our Lady of the Skies Catholic Chapel,
JFK International Terminal Four.
America distributions commence immediately
Concluding Remarks / Announcements –
Saint George Trek at Philmont
Catholic Committee Leadership Development Conference – Philmont
· NCCS to promote Duty to God at 2017
National Scout Jamboree
NCCS seeks members - Receive “The Bridge”, membership card, and program
Eagle Scout Certificates – awarded by Bishop DiMarzio
Diocese of Brooklyn CCOS – Girl Scout – Our Lady Awards – Are these still being earned
· Other Good Welfare
8. Closing Prayer – Led by Chaplain
Concludes meeting by 9:00 PM